Joining us today is Lauren Hunt with The Foundry Real Estate Company. We’re going to hear from her about why real estate should be fun for everyone.
[0:25] It’s been a hot start to 2022 for real estate. What have you been seeing?
- There are not enough houses and too many people trying to buy the same kind of house.
- Lots of multiples and unhappy buyers.
[01:00] Why do you think it’s such a seller’s market right now?
- It’s due to people relocating. Pricing in Edmonton is good right now.
[02:41] How did you get into real estate?
- I worked in the design and construction sales industry for over 10 years.
- It just seemed like a natural fit over time.
[03:43] How many houses do you think you went out to during that time?
- Close to 5000 with the number of measures I would do.
[04:20] How does flooring sales tie into being a successful realtor?
- I love homes and interiors. I’ve always loved design and I would watch reality television shows about design and real estate as a child.
[05:28] Is there a specific area or type of client you are focusing on right now?
- I don’t specialize in a particular area; I want to just focus on the clients that are skeptical about real estate.
[05:53] What do you mean by skeptical?
- My mission is to change peoples’ perception of the value of realtors. It should be an enjoyable and valuable process for both parties.
[06:35] Why do you think people undervalue realtors?
- Due to online information availability, people think they know the ins and outs.
- Realtors are a valuable source of education for buyers and sellers.
[07:58] You also have a background in psychology. How do all these things tie together?
- It helps with the sales approach. I’m more concerned about the end result than the sale. Not everyone wants the same approach or outcome.
[10:05] Do you have any examples of where you’ve had to use your psychology skills?
- When you are dealing with families or couples it can be tough. It’s about acting ethically at all times and staying true to the client’s best interests.
[13:00] When did you know it was time to switch to real estate?
- It’s scary to leave a good career. I was at work and I realized I could just go to IKEA. I realized I had time to take care of myself as well.
[15:35] What are people coming from out of province looking for?
- Single-family homes and rentals.
[17:56] How do you counsel your clients when it comes to today’s market?
- If they aren’t in a position to pull the trigger tomorrow, I tell them that. There’s no waiting.
- There’s also an alarming number of foreclosures right now in unusual areas.
[22:08] How do you handle sight unseen sales?
- Lots of Facetime walkthroughs.
[23:45] What’s been your most frustrating day?
- Dealing with a misleading posting and another agent.
[30:45] What advice would you give a family member on choosing a realtor?
- Ask questions. Trust your instincts. It is a mutual relationship, and it needs trust.
The Foundry Real Estate Company