Glenn and Angie Ewanchuk are welcomed to the podcast today. They are husband-and-wife realtors with RE/MAX Excellence right here in Edmonton, with over twenty years of combined experience.
[0:59] How does your business work as a husband and wife team?
- It works quite well because we can split up the duties. Glenn is responsible for the face-to-face, while Angie does the searching, paperwork, and setting up client meetings.
[1:57] What trends in Edmonton have you been seeing these days?
- The market has been a bit slow, but it’s increasing now because it’s spring.
- The stress test for mortgages has been putting stress on buyers.
- There are a lot of substandard properties being listed for sale, but the buyers are expecting more, so it makes it’s more difficult to find something they like.
- Some buyers come into a home thinking they can lowball because they’ve been told it’s a buyer’s market, but that’s not always the case.
[7:30] You mentioned that the worst thing you can do is start at a higher list price and then drop it. Why is that?
- Every property that gets listed has an MLS history. People can go in and see that the price kept getting reduced, and they will think that the seller is getting desperate.
- If the property is overpriced, it will become stale on the market.
[11:06] How did you end up becoming realtors?
- We had an automotive accessory business for sixteen years prior to becoming real estate agents.
- When we bought our own house, our real estate agent was a regular client at our business.
- He convinced Angie to go to real estate school and work for him.
- Later, we were approached to sell the business, so that was our chance to sell and for Glenn to get into real estate.
[14:05] Was there a particular instance that made you think “this is why I want to be a realtor?”
- When searching for a new home, we ended up losing a few because agents wouldn’t listen our needs. We realized that the only way we were going to get the property of our dreams was to represent ourselves.
- With our clients, we listen to them very carefully. When we view a property with them, we look for all the reasons that they shouldn’t buy.
[17:08] Do you have a special approach with first-time buyers?
- We really enjoy first-time buyers because we have a great system that we use every single time.
- We meet them in a casual setting and continue to educate them along the way.
- They tell us their wishes and we begin searching.
[19:37] What’s the most frustrating day you’ve had in real estate?
- Glenn was working with a young couple for about two months. We finally came across a house that was perfect for them.
- Their parents came to view the house and did not like it. They said there was no way that the young couple were buying it.
- It’s okay for parents to view houses, but they should be viewing all of them from the beginning.
[24:38] What advice would you give someone to determine if they were working with a good agent?
- They have to be accessible at all times.
- It’s a good idea to question them on their experience and background.
- In this day and age, everyone should be checking out their agents on things like Google Reviews.
Visit Team Ewanchuk Real Estate online: https://glennewanchuk.com/